The Joy!


It has happened.
I have become a grandfather...............TWICE!
I have three daughters and the eldest and the youngest both had babies.
A little boy and a little girl.

William came to us in November and little Evelynn arrived end of December.

I am getting old.

I have seen my genes carried on into eternity and it makes me not sad nor happy
but
just a little confused.

I am not sure what it is to be older, to be mature.
How is this done?
Are there rules to this or perhaps a recipe or detailed process which can be sent by email so I can follow it step by step?

Perhaps it is as I have thought for most of my life.
That the definition of what an older person should do or not do is largely a construct of someone else who is usually younger.
I have thought about becoming all grown up and serious about my life's direction and still have not made a solid plan which makes me a hypocrite.
I have told my daughters so many times that they should plan for the future, look ahead etc.
So it is possible that they are not in college etc because I went and didn't really use the diploma I received?
I know as a parent even if it is said otherwise you are held up as an example.
As examples go there are three, the positive, the negative and the ineffectual.
I might well fall into the later, nothing can be done about it now the future will be what it is and only they can change anything in their lives, I wonder if anything should.
I do not think that I have been a horrible parent just not a great role model and I figure these births give me a chance to be a better grand parent.

William has a wonky eye and Evelynn has had problems eating so before these two have reached their first birthday worry has surfaced pertaining to them.
They will both be fine but the thing is as a parent you worry about their whole lives.
Not losing hair and sleep worry but still you wonder how they will get along, will they be good and hopefully in some way better than you turned out.
The parents out there for the most part know what I mean, so why do we do it?
Why do we want these little humans?
Two words
"The Joy!"



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

On the road in India

So what is your big idea?