The Google that stole Xmas

Hello Blog fans and a prosperous New Year to us all. By the time I post this it will be 2014!
The season of Joy as the christians would call it is a time of year that doesn't really bring visions of presents or a little baby in a barn somewhere. It has been an anchor point in my life. A place on the calender that means family and close friends.
I started the season right with an influx of cash from an injury settlement.

I'm like everyone else in the world short of cash over the holidays. This was the first one where I had an excess. 
My travel plans included none of the sub -15 temperatures or the buzz which is Fort McMurray. 

I was looking forward to
Baklava Mmmmmm
visiting people like this old duffer to the left.
Yup my Dad!
I haven't had a lot of one on one time with any of my immediate family for a very long while so this was a wonderful opportunity to do just that.

I had time, from the 14th of December til the 3rd of January and some money so I made the best of these two resources.


Mom's thumb Mmmmmm
 My travels might have had a few travails thrown in but when your able to visit little characters like this one who cares if everything goes to plan!

O yes it is the newest addition to the family!

Can you help but smile at a little one like this?

She is one of the future and what does that future look like?


Happy...Maybe. Ps the good lookin woman is my ex wife
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Well it doesn't look like the three of us.


It has a display screen, it was a phone and now for millions of people it is their computer.
Grampy

                                                       All of the children and grand kids were in tip top shape and the weather was seasonable not too cold lots of snow. Perfect for the festive season.

Yet there was a grey paler, a damper, over the spirit of togetherness!

It seemed that Google was stealing xmas.

Comments had been made in the first leg of my journey as to the amount of time I spent on the phone.

While gathered around for holiday festivities the family was concerned  about the glow emanating from under the table. My gaze focused on my crotch made it seem I was an uncontrollable perv with a radio active penis. 
They noticed my glancing down every few minutes to the lush display to look at texts. 
The texts were from a friend who was to come out for the holidays but unfortunately couldn't.
That was the dull patina given to an otherwise brilliant vacation......... but wait it was only half over and after all I had a new S3 to play with and I did!
On with the vacation and into technobliss with Me and my S3!

And all sorts of people! 

Like my eldest grand daughter who is showing me that if you have no mitts a boot will do in a pinch!

But my constant companion was of course my phone which almost got left behind.

Why would I have left the sleek shaped phone with it's carbon fiber back and the monster display at home? 

Really if I had the original packaging the S3 would have been returned.

I know you can't believe it! You're thinking that I'm just old and all set in my ways that I can't handle this technology. 
Well only partly true.

I was expecting so much more from a Google smart phone or as it became to be known "My nominally intelligent phone".

I thought that I would plug the phone into my PC and whiz bang boom it would have all of my music and all of it's photos would download right away but no.

The music problem is solved and now it is the photo problem which needs to be figured out. Facebook has them, NO really, why can't they be on my PC?



So do I give a thumbs up to the S3?
Well really I think it is uber Google, it's too connected to Google but that is the view of a guy who took out the facebook mobile app because I get notified through Gmail.

I don't see the point of being so well connected but that is the beauty of apps and the ability to rid your phone of the ones you don't use or need.

The camera is ok for a phone what is sweet are the dual processors that allow rapid fire shooting. I didn't do much video but it works well enough, hint take the auto screen flip off.

But if I get away from the particular model and comment on smart phones in general I'd say they will and have changed the information
hiway and in doing so a friend of mine says watch for rate changes on data usage for the home PC.

Now I come to the larger Question what does this mean for the masses? 
Do these marvels of tech bring us a step closer to being "one" with the machine?
Always plugged in to the web always connected ready to read, reply, download, replay, record and share.
Well not yet but with the coming of age of blue tooth?
Well it is a step towards singularity in that now tech in it's full form is mobile and fiercely so, to the point of taking the desk top PC and making it a memory ala VHS tape.

A good thing not sure it is just inevitable looking at the curve so far. 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

On the road in India

So what is your big idea?