Living at a loss?

Ah the summer of love!
Of course I was born as the Hippies were integrating back into society disguised as work a day types who were raising kids and from a viral ascent the "hippy" hit it's apex and in a glorious shower of its own comet tail "the movement" came falling back to earth.
It was for good reason, it became increasingly obvious that the ideals of the hippy could only be fully sustained by the grace of the establishment that they rebuffed and very cheap drugs such as LSD and marijuana.
A strong minded person would see, after child number two was on the way, that kids preferred food to pot so Daddy was off to work and part of the system. I am not being cynical I'm just using a silly narrative. Truly I know people who lived the life of the hippy, I'm even old enough to say I had met the last of the true hobos down in a Calgary train yard and what I have seen is that the reformed or modified hippy would have a liberal attitude and a natural aversion to the powers that be but a true free spirit, probably not.

Not all of the hippies faded away in fact I have known a few who showed that face of a generation that in some very real ways were full of hope for a better planet and almost did it, they could have killed the king and didn't.
They have lived with the altruistic ideals of Menno Simons without the religion or maybe Mahatma Gandhi without the protest
But

In this day and age if you want the free life
               
                                                           you get something like this.


                                          So why am I going on

 about the way back when,
                                    how does it connect to the here right now?

I have two virtually homeless people staying at my place.
One of them I know fairly well but his female friend who was supposed to be visiting but has taken to squatting in my place, not so much.
They don't cost me much at all except my freedom but who needs freedom. No really I mean it. I can't saunter out of the shower in my usual way, now I have to cover myself and the freedom to choose who I have in my dwelling at what time.
My last roomie was fine as he worked steady and an opposite shift to me so as I was going to bed he was coming home.
Here is the moral question, why should I place my wants ahead of someone else's need?
I don't need to trot around with my Ya-Ya's hanging free, I can get around sharing time in the kitchen, these are wants not needs.
JC cleans and such, he has got it after having me do the Daddy meltdown for some minor indiscretion such as letting the garbage container flow over with trash. The meltdown comes after bottling a lot of annoyance up inside.
Do people annoy me generally? No but familiarity can breed contempt.
So I will go through the next 30+ days trying to maintain my composure and take this as an opportunity, not to practice my dissection skills but to have a better sense of life and being.
Not to mention someone paid forward for me a while back that would be
a young man
                               named
                                        Harlan
                                               Hansel
So because he opened his home to me I opened my heart to him, he is a lovable lad and I have kept my house open to people who give little more than a donation for the space.
If JC and whatshername ever want to thank me for having them here they can simply do the same further down the road for someone else.
I hope they are a bit more gracious than I have been.
Harlan I am going to go get a beer and hoist one in fond memory of the past.                              
Harlan and Jon
Well not of the disorder

and sick cats but the fun times



like shooting craps in the back of the head shop after hours.

I'll hoist that beer with another pat forward guy



Mr Don Johnstone,

geez I hope I got his last name right!


So the food used, the inconvenience,the age difference, does it make this living at a loss?
Not at all!

I don't think I'd be living if I couldn't keep giving.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

On the road in India

So what is your big idea?