No Game just a Hunger

It's funny how things come together.
I have been blasted with a super hype gun beaming "The Hunger Games" into my brain to the point where I might actually recognize the young star of the film.
I don't know her name but I'd be able to say "Aren't you the girl from the hunger games?".
I'm not out to blast the film or the book.
Both I'm sure are as well done as has been reported on every media info outlet in the world, it is a buzz.
Yes I find buzzing an annoyance none the less the storyline is almost secondary to this post and while popularity is an issue
Milla Jovovich as Joan of Arc in the 1999 film The Messenger
the popularity of it in particular is not an issue. What intrigues me is the comparison of this story and the real life story of Joan of Arc.

This is where things come together!

I happened to be visiting my friend Diane, a wonderful French Canadian woman, on her TV was a movie called "The Messenger". At first glance I thought it was another trailer for the hunger games, I soon realized that it was something far more interesting, it was a movie about Joan of Arc.
Diane was curious and I told her the story about Joan of Arc and how I found
Diane Roi or Roy
it strange that this lady with the "tic accent au francaise" would not know about this french saint!
I told Diane about the 1948 film with Ingrid Bergman and that I was interested in this new telling of what I found to be a fascinating story, a real life yes she existed and did what she did, story.
Diane said in her cute Canadian accent if it was the old black and white version she probably would have flipped the channel. I explained that when I saw it as a kid I remembered it as a great story and I thought the film was old back then.
The new version "The Messenger" is on my DVD buy list and it made me think about the story and the rise in popularity of the Hunger Games, the Twilight Vampire thing before it and the Potter books before that. A retelling of Lord of the rings would be another BIG one. They all have some metaphoric color related to reality but they all lack a sense of spirituality.  But all the fiction mentioned and the story of Saint Joan have one thing in common, the individual makes a difference, it's just that one of them is a true(ish) story.
I personally believe we should as a whole discover some more of the real life stories that are all around us.
Leave the comic book world and visit once in a while with great relish the lives of those who are real.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

So what is your big idea?

On the road in India