Cable? I Don't need no stinkin cable.





So it has been a month of Netflix!
One would think I have enough experience to make a solid comment on the pros and cons of a brilliant idea.


Will I keep it?

Is cable gone, a thing of the past like my polyester shirts, bell bottoms and the console TV?

Weeeel yes and no.

I find that Netflix is all that I need for entertainment but that's me and not you.
They have enough foreign content to keep me interested and they seem to have a reasonably deep catalog, I found films that I did not expect to see along with the stuff you do expect.
A smattering of British comedy with a layer of French romantic comedy topped with morsels of indie productions on a strong dramatic base.
English titles are broad in the genres covered along with dozens of TV shows but as I said before it is not big on new releases.
Oh well!
I am one of those leeches who hardly ever go to movies and only buy dvd's from the discount bin so new releases are not a big deal.

Again that is me but what about the average Joe or Jill should they toss the digital cable box?
That is a bit trickier, well not that tricky it's just a matter of knowing your viewing habits.
If you like watching new episodes of a favorite show like House or CSI you won't want to cancel the cable just yet.
Do you want to see the latest fair of the cinema in the comfort of the living room couch?
Netflix is probably not for you.

But for a person who has been cable TV deprived and really can't afford a movie night or better doesn't really like most of the mainstream fair this is Kick Ass! 


So you have Netflix and you see the suggestions they have set out for you. Some folks feel that the algorithm used is not the best. I agree it may limit rather than expand a viewers choices. 
But I don't really give a crap about the algorithm used to compile the suggestions!
Say What!!!
My view is that this feature is more for the person who has suckled at Hollywood's teat for their whole life and it will give them a broader menu to choose from compared to cable or the video rental store.


For film school grads like myself and other arty farty people there is the Search Feature!
Yeah the search feature is great for seeing if that particular title is in the library right, of course! 
But when it does not find the title and gives you pages of selections related to the keywords it is a cool trip to just go through them. You would not believe some of the obscure and brilliant titles available.
Whether you are a high brow prick like myself or someone who figures Hollywood as one of the wonders of the modern world a great site to have on the browser bar along with Netflix is IMDb.com.
Why?
Hugh Laurie-No this is not from  House
The search feature is a bit more forgiving so when you aren't sure as to what the title is or what shows has Hugh Laurie been in you can find out.
 An example: I didn't know how to spell Hugh's last name, IMDb-House in the search bar and Ba Boom anything you want to know about the people involved with the show is right there.
The practical test. 
I left the cable connected while doing my Netflix trials and found that the cable was used once in the past month. That once was because I did not feel like starting up the computer for the news and weather.
So should I keep cable?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the road in India

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

So what is your big idea?