I just wanted the nail trimmed! WARNING GRAPHIC IMAGES!!!

So the history of my left thumb is one that defies logic. I would have been 16 and I put it through a table saw, just a flesh wound or so it was thought..
The two screws are holding whats left of the bottom knuckle
A few stitches  and no X-ray which was unfortunate if I'd had one it would have shown the bone fragment on the inside of the knuckle which would cause me some discomfort latter.
Then when I was married just before the first one arrived I managed to plunge a razor knife into the end of it cutting to the bone that took two or three stitches. After marriage I took a corner of it off with a chef's knife at a restaurant I was co running I drove to emergency and they could only tape it back on so that when it healed I had a thumb that looked like Hannibal Lecter had tried tasting by slicing a morsel off .





Then the Oct  incident in 
a week after
which I pretty much 
severed
it at the knuckle.
about two weeks
about three weeks

The emergency surgery done



the thunb went from kind of straight and the ripped flesh was repairing it's self 
then
the wound split open
all hell broke loose as the thumb pulled to one side



8 weeks


It when to about 50 degrees 
and
rotated about 10 degrees.


It was obvious that
this new thumb 
configuration was not the best so off to Edmonton I went for a consultation with a plastic surgeon.



Dr. Morhart figured he would be able to put a screw through the tip of the thumb and through the knuckle holding it firm so the bone grafted to the knuckle joint will fuse together.


Unfortunately there was not enough of the lower knuckle to do that so he had to change tactics and install pins as you can see here.


On April 9th I am supposed to have the suture removed 
Another 4-5 weeks and the pins come out. Lets hope there is no infection and the joint fuses as it is supposed to.Graphic images 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On the road in India

Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

So what is your big idea?